AKA: Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, Tacoma Lodge #174, Tacoma, WA; Elks Hall, Tacoma, WA

Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - pubs; built works - commercial buildings - restaurants; built works - dwellings -public accommodations - hotels; built works - recreation areas and structures

Designers: Champney, Edouard Frere, Architect (firm); Édouard Frère Champney (architect)

Dates: constructed 1914-1915

565 Broadway
Tacoma, WA 98402-3907

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Building History

The cosmopolitan, École-trained, Seattle architect, Édouard Frère Champney (1874-1929), designed this building for the Tacoma Elks in 1914-1915.

Alteration

In 07/2009, developers Grace Pleasants and Rick Moses looked to buy the Elks Lodge in Downtown Tacoma, WA, and sell it and and its property to the McMenamins chain of brewhouse restaurants, based in Portland, OR. McMenamins hoped to remodel the Elks building into a brewhouse-hotel-spa. In addition to this, the City of Tacoma agreed to pay for a 5-story parking garage on the land; this facility with a capacity of 300 cars, would serve as the lower floors of a six-story apartment building. The first floor above the garage would be occupied by a grocery store, and the remaining 5 floors would have living units. In late 09/2010, concerns were raised about the preservation of a monkey puzzle tree growing next to the Tacoma Elks Building, with some advocating its removal saying that it was a hazard. The exotic species, Araucaria araucana, originated in Chile, and became popular for Northwesterners to cultivate in the 1920s-1930s.

PCAD id: 14211