AKA: Galland, Caroline Rosenberg Kline, Office Building, Downtown, Seattle, WA; Stone-Fisher Dry Goods Store, Downtown, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - department stores

Designers: Loschky Marquardt and Nesholm (LMN) (firm); Umbrecht, Max, Architect (firm); Wright Runstad and Company (firm); George Loschky (architect); Judsen Robert Marquardt (architect); John Frank Nesholm (architect); H. Jon Runstad (developer); Maximilian B. Umbrecht (architect); Howard S. Wright Sr. (building contractor)

Dates: constructed 1906

5 stories

1215 2nd Avenue
Seattle, WA 98101-2950

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
2nd Avenue and University Street

Caroline Rosenberg Kline Galland (1841-1907), one of the wealthiest real estate women in Seattle, WA, c. 1905, commissioned the architect, Max Umbrecht, to design this small retail/office building; initially, the Stone-Fisher Dry Goods Company occupied the space; the merchant, R.P. Fraser, purchased the Stone-Fisher Company and used this location before 1927. Fraser-Paterson had dry goods stores in Seattle, WA, and Spokane, WA. In 1937, the Ryan Furniture Company and two small shops utilized the building. Galland and her estate owned the building until c. 1969, when the ubiquitous Sam Israel's Samis Company bought the property for $500,000.

This building had 5 stories with a ground floor mezzanine.

The developer, Wright Runstad Company, leased the Stone-Fisher Store and the adjacent Seneca Building and undertook a renovation of the two 96,329-square-foot spaces in 1985. Loschky Marquardt and Nesholm (LMN), Architects supervised the remodeling and seismic upgrade. The renovation received a Merit Award from the Seattle Chapter of the American Institute of Architects. Wright Runstad, known for its historic preservation efforts, commissioned the remodeling at the same time the Washington Mutual Tower was being built on the east side of 2nd Avenue. The cornice line originally had a balustrade that was removed at some point.

PCAD id: 14199