Structure Type: built works - public buildings - health and welfare buildings

Designers: Naramore, Bain, Brady, and Johanson, (NBBJ) (firm); Wohleb, Joseph, Architect (firm); William James Bain Jr. (architect); William James Bain Sr. (architect); Clifton J. Brady (architect); Perry Bertil Johanson (architect); Joseph Henry Wohleb (architect)

Dates: constructed 1945-1946

Terry Street and Madison Street
Seattle, WA 98104

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

The King County Blood Bank was erected on property donated by Dr. and Mrs. S. Maimon Samuels; over 900 individuals donated $250,000 to get the blood bank built, including George Bartell, the drugstore tycoon, Joshua Green, the real estate owner, Paul Pigott, an owner of PACCAR, and Emil G. Sick, the brewer. Naramore, Brady, Bain and Johanson designed the facility in association with Joseph Wohleb of Olympia, WA. A dedicatory reception occurred on 11/22/1946 and an inaugural open house on 11/24/1946.

The King County, Central Blood Bank #1, was located at Madison Street and Terry Avenue in Seattle, WA.

PCAD id: 13732