AKA: Aberdeen School District #5, Aberdeen High School #1, Aberdeen, WA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - high schools

Designers: Thomas, Russell and Rice, Architects (firm); Walter E. Rice (architect); Ambrose J. Russell (architect); Irving Harlan Thomas (architect)

Dates: constructed 1909, demolished 2002

view all images ( of 1 shown)

410 North G Street
Aberdeen, WA 98520-5206

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Building History

New York-born lumberman, John M. Weatherwax (02/14/1828-07/19/1896), established an early lumber mill in Aberdeen, WA, becoming an important real estate developer and philanthropist. Weatherwax operated a lumber business for years in Stanton, MI, before exploring the Pacific Northwest for new tree stands. He came to Aberdeen, WA, in 1884, and received real estate there from Samuel Benn, a local property owner, in exchange for building a lumber mill in town. Mill equipment was shipped from MI, around Cape Horn and into the town's port.

Alteration

Altered before it burned in 2002.

Demolition

Weatherwax High School was gutted by an arson fire on 01/05/2002; a new school was dedicated 5 years later on 08/25/2007; when it burned in 2002, six buildings composed the Aberdeen High School complex, the focal point being the Weatherwax Building.

PCAD id: 13559