Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - department stores

Designers: Cawsey and Lohse, Building Contractors (firm); Corner, James N., Architect (firm); Charles Challace Cawsey (building contractor); James N. Corner (architect); Henry Lohse Sr. (building contractor)

Dates: constructed 1907-1908, demolished 1971

5 stories

2nd Avenue and Pike Street
Downtown, Seattle, WA 98101

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

According to historian Clark Humphrey, this department store was the first to make the transition from gaslight to electricity in Seattle and the first with a passenger elevator to take customers to one of its five floors. (See Clark Humphrey, Vanishing Seattle, [Charleston, SC: Arcadia Press, 2006], p. 15.) MacDougall-Southwick began operations in 1875, and closed in 1964. Research by historian Rob Ketcherside indicated that MacDougall-Southwick moved into this second location c. 02/1908. Ketcherside indicated that a Seattle Times article of 12/29/1907 (page 23), listed James M. Corner as the building's architect. Herman Chapin owned the property. A Seattle Times article of 03/17/1907 ST (page 58) stated that Cawsey and Lohse would be the building contractors. (E-mail from Rob Ketcherside to the author, 03/22/2011.)

This five-story building located at 2nd Avenue and Pike Street, had the wide Chicago windows and steel framing of the most modern department stores of the early 1900s.

Demolished 1971. It was razed to make way for a parking lot.

PCAD id: 13274