AKA: Ebell Club, Meeting Hall #3, Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA; Ebell Clubhouse #3, Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - assembly halls

Designers: Hunt and Burns, Architects (firm); Scofield Engineering Construction Company (firm); Yoch and Council, Landscape Architects (firm); Silas Reese Burns Jr. (architect); Lucille Council (landscape architect); Sumner P. Hunt (architect); Edson Mason Scofield (building contractor); Florence Yoch (landscape architect)

Dates: constructed 1926-1927

2 stories, total floor area: 76,855 sq. ft.

view all images ( of 3 shown)

4400 Wilshire Boulevard
Windsor Village, Los Angeles, CA 90010-3709

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
Another address for the Ebell Club #3 was 743 South Lucerne Boulevard.

Overview

The Ebell Club, a women's educational organization founded in Los Angeles by walnut grower Harriet Williams Russell Strong (1844-1926) in 1894, grew to include chapters in several Southern California cities during the first decades of the twentieth century. Strong named the organization for Dr. Adrian John Ebell (1840-1877), a physician who gained renown organizing public educational lectures on science and medicine. He made a point of focusing of women's education. In 1876, he made a lecture stop in Oakland, CA, and his name was used thereafter by proponents of women's education in the state.

Building History

Mary Hancock Chapman (born 06/1856 in OH-d. 11/11/1930 in Los Angeles, CA), was a prominent member of the Ebell Club of Los Angeles, was the wife of architect Sumner P. Hunt, who designed this building and several others for the group in Southern CA. Hunt designed the club's third Los Angeles meeting place, replacing the previous clubhouse erected at 1719 South Figueroa Street in 1905, also designed by him. The building was constructed of cast-in-place concrete, done in the Mediterranean Revival Style.

A cornerstone with a time capsule describing the Ebell Club was laid 02/28/1927; L.A. Historic Cultural Monument #250, named 08/25/1982.

Building Notes

The Ebell Club #3 included the Wilshire Ebell Theatre, a venue accommodating 1,300 people.

John Chard created the wrought iron front entrance gate containing 2,000 separate pieces.

The 2013 Historic American Landscapes Survey Challenge: Documenting the Cultural Landscapes of Women, researched the Ebell Clubhouse because of the work of Florence Yoch and Lucille Council on the grounds.

Alteration

In 07/1930, the Ebell Memorial Fountain was dedicated.

California Historical Landmark: ID n/a

Los Angeles Historical-Cultural Monument (Listed 1982-08-25): 250

National Register of Historic Places (Listed 1994-05-06): 94000401 NRHP Images (pdf) NHRP Registration Form (pdf)

Los Angeles County Assessor Number: 5090019001

PCAD id: 1302