AKA: Houghton, John, House, Chester Place, West Adams District, Los Angeles, CA; Doheny, Edward Laurence, Jr., House #1, Chester Place, West Adams District, Los Angeles, CA

Structure Type: built works - dwellings - houses

Designers: [unspecified]

Dates: constructed 1899-1900

10 Chester Place
West Adams District, Los Angeles, CA 90007

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Initially, the distinguished Judge Charles Silent (1842-1918), the original developer of the Chester Place tract, sold the lot at 10 Chester Place to William Bayly (b. 1856). Colorado hardware and mining magnate Bayly was the brother-in-law of Oliver Posey (1845-1930) who built a grand mansion at 8 Chester Place between 1898-1900. John Houghton had this residence erected by 1900. Soon after he bought the Oliver Posey House at #8 Chester Place, the oilman Edward L. Doheny, Sr., (1856-1935), purchased Houghton's House next door for his son, Edward L. "Ned" Doheny, Jr. (1893-1929). The Doheny Family bought a number of lots in the exclusive Chester Place sub-division, providing them with a measure of privacy. They would need this privacy during the late 1920s, when both Doheny and his son were implicated in the sensational Teapot Dome Oil Scandal.

Demolished.

PCAD id: 12685