Structure Type: built works - dwellings -public accommodations - hotels

Designers: Meyer and O'Brien, Architects (firm); Frederick Herman Meyer (architect); Smith O'Brien (architect)

Dates: constructed 1907-1908

4 stories

366-394 Eddy Street
Tenderloin, San Francisco, CA 94109

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
300-324 Leavenworth Street

The architectural firm of Meyer and O'Brien, which existed between 1902-1908, designed this hotel following the Great San Francisco Earthquake and Fire of 04/18-19/1906. The Cadillac Hotel, had a central light court, allowing daylighting into interior rooms and providing a greater number of fire escape routes. Donald Fisher (1928-2009), the future billionaire owner of the Gap, owned the Cadillac Hotel in the 1960s; when community activists Leroy and Kathy Looper bought the hotel in 1977, only 7% of its 200 rooms could used; the others had been allowed to deteriorate. The Loopers' Realty House West organization made the Cadillac the first non-profit single-room occupancy hotel in CA.

The Cadillac Hotel, was built with two street addresses, 366-394 Eddy Street and 300-324 Leavenworth Street, on the northwest corner of the Eddy and Leavenworth intersection in San Francisco, CA.

San Francisco Historic Landmark: 176

PCAD id: 1239