Structure Type: built works - infrastructure - transportation structures - railroad stations

Designers: Southern Pacific Railroad Company, Architectural Office (firm); John H. Christie (architect); John McQuarrie (muralist/painter)

Dates: constructed 1940

95 University Avenue
Palo Alto, CA 94301-2324

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
County: Santa Clara

The Southern Pacific Railroad's in-house architect, J.H. Christie, designed this station. Construction began on 10/22/1940. The interior featured a mural painted by John McQuarrie.

Placed on National Register of Historic Places: 04/18/1996. The building measures 215 feet (65 m) long by 25 feet wide. It is notable for its strong, Streamline Moderne styling.

Renovation of the depot occurred in the 1980s, and has been used since as a transit hub for bus systems in Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties.

PCAD id: 1216