Structure Type: built works - infrastructure

Designers: [unspecified]

Dates: [unspecified]

Riverside, CA

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Matthew Gage financed the digging of this canal to assist in the development of agriculture in San Bernardino County, particularly the cultivation of citrus fruit. The first 11.91 miles running from its head at the Tesquisquite Arroyo began 10/1885 and was completed in 11/1886. Use of the canal for irrigation did not begin on a large scale until Spring 1887. An 8.22-mile extension was begun in 02/1888 and completed 06/1888. This was the canal's full extent. In 1888, the Riverside Water Company filed suit against Gage claiming his canal reduced the amount of water available for their use.

PCAD id: 11309