AKA: University of Washington, Seattle, Warehouse, Seattle, WA; University of Washington, University Way NE Warehouse, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - university buildings

Designers: [unspecified]

Dates: [unspecified]

This former warehouse was renovated into a live theatre in 1930. Renovation on the theatre occurred in 2007-2008, making seismic upgrades to walls, adding new seating and energy-saving features (to make it LEED-certified), construction of new "vomitory" stage entrances (located under the seating) and heightening the roof to allow for new lighting and catwalks. Dressing rooms, too, were to be relocated to increase lobby and restroom space. Construction was to conclude in 09/2008; some School of Drama personnel would be moved back to learn new technical features during the Fall Quarter, with the whole school returning to the facility in 01/2009. The Playhouse Theatre, renamed for donors Floyd and Delores Jones, reopened at a gala held on 10/30/2009. The completely gutted and remodeled theatre provided space for student theatrical productions and could seat 160. LMN Architects supervised the renovation with Magnusson Klemencic, Structural Engineer, CDI Mechanical Engineer, Auerbach and Associates, Theatrical Consultant, W.A. Botting, Mechanical Contractor, EHS Electrical, Electrical Contractor, and Wick Constructors, General Contractor.

PCAD id: 10712