AKA: County of Alameda, Courthouse #3, Downtown, Oakland, CA; Alameda County Courthouse #3, Downtown, Oakland, CA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - courthouses

Designers: Corlett, William G. Architect (firm); Lerner and Associates, Architects (firm); Plachek, James W. Architect (firm); Arnold Lerner (architect); Henry Anthony Minton (architect); James William Plachek (architect); William E. Schirmer (architect); Carl Werner (architect)

Dates: constructed 1935-1936

1221 Oak Street
Oakland, CA 94612-4222

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Building Notes

The Alameda County Court House was designed in what has been called the Public Works Administration (PWA formed 1933) / Works Progress Administration (WPA, formed 1935) Moderne Style. The style was a very sober, unornamented interpretation of the Art Deco often merged with streamlined styling of fenestration and corner members.

Alteration

The California Preservation Foundation presented Arnold Lerner and Associates an award for its addition of an entry and ramp for disabled access to the Alameda County Courthouse in 1994.

PCAD id: 1026