AKA: Beverly Hills Civic Center, Beverly Hills, CA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - city halls

Designers: Austin, John C.W. Architect (firm); Campbell and Campbell, Landscape Architects (firm); Gehry, Frank O. and Associates, Incorporated (firm); Koerner and Gage, Architect (firm); Meyer, Frederick M. Architect (firm); Safdie, Moshe and Associates (firm); Urban Innovations Group (firm); John Corneby Wilson Austin (architect); William John Gage (architect); Frank Owen Gehry (architect); Henry G. Koerner (architect); Frederick M. Meyer (architect); Charles Willard Moore (architect); Moshe Safdie (architect)

Dates: constructed 1932

455 North Rexford Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210-4817

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
East side of Crescent Drive between Santa Monica Boulevard and Little Santa Monica Boulevard

William J. Gage designed the Beverly Hills City Hall, creating a composition of a tower surrounded by lower wings housing offices. Office towers, usually associated with business skyscrapers, became common for use in city halls of the 1920s-1930s, as demonstrated in Downtown Los Angeles (1926-1928) and Van Nuys (1932-1933).

In 1981, the City of Beverly Hills sponsored a much-publicized competition for the renovation and enlargement of its City Hall complex; six firms competed for the $110 million renovation, including Moshe Safdie and Associates, Arthur Erickson Architects, Gwathmey Siegel and Associates, Frank O. Gehry and Associates, and the ultimate victor, Charles Moore/Urban Innovations Group, a design firm based at the UCLA, School of Architecture and Urban Planning; this renovation work carried on from 1981-1992. Urban Innovations teamed with A.C. Martin and Associates. Campbell and Campbell worked on the project as its landscape architect.

PCAD id: 1002