Structure Type: built works - industrial buildings - warehouses

Designers: Saunders and Lawton, Architects (firm); George Willis Lawton (architect); Charles Willard Saunders (architect)

Dates: constructed 1909-1910

5 stories

view all images ( of 1 shown)

623 Western Avenue
Seattle, WA 98104

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Building History

The Polson Building appeared on the 1912 Baist Seattle real estate map as occupying a block bounded by Western Avenue on the east, Railroad Avenue (Alaska Way) on the west and Columbia Street on the north. The map indicated that the building was of stone construction. Originally a warehouse, the Polson Building's immediate proximity to railroad lines was a big advantage over other locations in the city. Another warehouse at 619 Western Avenue stood next door to the south. The Polson Building became used for artists' lofts by at least 1985. Seattle architectural firm Saunders and Lawton produced the design for the Polson Building and several other large warehouses of the 1900-1915 period in Pioneer Square, including the Crane Building (1907), Westland Building (1907), and Manufacturers Building (1906).

Building Notes

In 1922, the R.L. Polk Seattle City Directory Company leased Room #600 in the Polson Building.

PCAD id: 9465