Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - markets; built works - commercial buildings - stores

Designers: Thomas, Harlan C., Architect (firm); Irving Harlan Thomas (architect)

Dates: constructed 1911-1912

1st Avenue and Pike Street
Seattle, WA 98101

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Located at the corner of 1st Avenue and Pike Street;

Architect Harlan Thomas designed and built the Corner Market in 1911-1912, just across the street from the Pike Place Market. Cyrus Francis Clapp (d. 1940) commissioned the building from Thomas and continued to own it until his death in 1940. He bequeathed ownership to Caroline B. Clapp (d. 1967) and Vina Clapp Felger. Ownership stakes in the Corner Market continued to grow over the generations, causing difficulty in attaining consensus on maintenance issues. This contributed to the rundown character of the building by 1965. (See "A Detailed History of the Corner Market Building & Environs," City of Seattle, Department of Community Development, 1975, p. 13.)

While working on Pike Place Market's Corner Market Building, Thomas also had a commission to design the Bremer Estate in Bremerton, WA. The Three Girls Bakery has been a tenant since before 1920.

PCAD id: 9444