AKA: Griffith Park Observatory and Samuel Oshin Planetarium, Los Angeles

Structure Type: built works - exhibition buildings - planetariums

Designers: Austin and Ashley, Architects (firm); Hardy, Holzman, Pfeiffer, Architects (HHPA) (firm); Levin and Associates, Architects (firm); McKay Conant Brook (MCB), Incorporated (firm); Frederic M. Ashley (architect); John Corneley Wilson Austin (architect); Hugo Ballin (artist/muralist); Brook (acoustical engineer); David Conant (acoustical engineer/architect); Archibald Garner (sculptor); Hugh Hardy (architect); Malcolm Holzman (architect); Brenda Levin (architect); Ronald L. McKay (acoustical engineer/architect); Norman Henry Pfeiffer (architect)

Dates: constructed 1934-1935

2800 East Observatory Road
Los Angeles, CA 90027-1255

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
Located in Griffith Park; Gebhard and Winter Guide, 1994, cites address as "Western Canyon Road.

Building History

This observatory atop Mount Hollywood was built with money bequeathed by Col. Griffith J. Griffith (d. 1919), a local landowner. Griffith donated half of his ranch's land to the City of Los Angeles on which Griffith Park was created.

Building Notes

The Obelisk to the north of the Griffith Park observatory contained sculptures of the astronomers Hipparchus, Copernicus, Galileo, Kepler, Newton, and Herschel executed by the artist, Archibald Garner in 1934; interior murals were done by Hugo Ballin, 1935; the central dome housed a large planetarium, the east dome contained a 300 mm. Zeiss refractor telescope of 5 meters focal length and a coelostat in the west dome.

Alteration

Renovated 2002-2005 by Hardy Holzman Pfeiffer, later known as Pfeiffer Partners; the planetarium was renamed the Samuel Oshin Planetarium.

PCAD id: 912