AKA: University of Washington, Seattle, Bloedel, Julius H., Hall, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - university buildings

Designers: Grant, Copeland and Chervenak and Associates, Architects (firm); Haag, Richard, Associates, Incorporated, Site Planners, Landscape Architects (firm); Robert Allan Chervenak (architect); Ross W. Copeland Jr. (architect); Austin Grant (architect); Richard Haag (landscape architect)

Dates: constructed 1970-1971

view all images ( of 1 shown)

University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Located on the University of Washington Campus;

Building History

This building, with its virtuosic wood framing, echoed that of nearby Winkenwerder Hall, also designed by Grant, Copeland and Chervenak in 1963. Originally named the Forest Sciences Building, it was renamed Bloedel Hall for Julius H. Bloedel (1864-1957), founder of the MacMillan Bloedel Limited forest products company.

Building Notes

Richard Haag and Associates, Landscape Architects, designed the courtyard formed among Bloedel, Winkenwerder and Anderson Halls. This courtyard had some paving and benches and providing a delightful, sheltered venue for outdoor gatherings or solitary moments. This courtyard remains one of the finest outdoor living spaces on the UW Campus.

Alteration

The UW Capital Projects Office noted a $875,000 renovation project that happened within Bloedel Hall between 07/17/2012-12/10/2012: "Conversion of an 1700 sf former wood shop into a modern laboratory with fume hoods for the Bioresource Science and Engineering program. Funding in the amount of $500K is approved for this project from 2011-2013 Minor Capital Improvements funding. Additional funding in the amount of $375K is available from a research grant and various school budgets." UW Facilities employees Will Smith served as the Project Manager, Ibo Sezgin, the Construction Manager.

PCAD id: 8744