AKA: Merrill Place, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - industrial buildings - warehouses

Designers: Naramore, Bain, Brady, and Johanson, (NBBJ) (firm); Olson / Walker Architects (firm); William James Bain Jr. (architect); Clifton J. Brady (architect); Perry Bertil Johanson (architect); Floyd Archibald Naramore (architect); James W.P. Olson (architect); Gordon Kendall Walker (architect)

Dates: [unspecified]

305 1st Avenue South
SoDo, Seattle, WA 98104-2801

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Overview

Businessman Albert Hambach (c. 1860-12/23/1934) sold sheet metal and plumber's and steamfitter's supplies at this building at 305-307 1st Avenue South in 1902. (See Seattle City Directory, 1902, p. 585.)

Building Notes

According to the 1905 Polk Seattle City Directory (p. 569), the Hambach Building operated at 305-307 1st Avenue South in Seattle,

Alteration

The R.D. Merrill Company, an old Seattle lumber and real estate firm (dating to the 1890s), sought historic certification for four of its properties in Pioneer Square in 1983: the Schwabacher Hardware Company Building (1903-1905), Seller Building (1906), Hambach Building #4 (1913) and Schwabacher Warehouse Annex (1909), to obtain tax benefits. In 1985, it conglomerated these four buildings into one, calling the new development, "Merrill Place." Olson/Walker and NBBJ Architects supervised this rehabilitation process.

PCAD id: 8511