AKA: McCaw House, The Highlands, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - dwellings - houses

Designers: Platt, Charles Adams, Architect (firm); Smith, Anne, Landscape Architect (firm); Charles Adams Platt (architect); Geoffrey Platt (architect); William Platt (architect); Anne Smith (landscape architect)

Dates: constructed 1922-1923

The Highlands, Seattle, WA

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Building History

New York architect Charles A. Platt designed the country house, garden, casino, swimming pool and garage in 1922-1923. He returned to design the garden in 1927. The residence cost Stimson $150,319.31, a huge sum in 1923.

Building Notes

Located on a bluff off of Olympic Drive, the Stimson Mansion, built for a member of the Stimson Mill Company lumber family, at one time occupied one of the largest lots in The Highlands. It has been sub-divided. The house is now owned by a member of the McCaw Family.

Alteration

Platt returned to the Stimson House in 1927 to design its garden. The Stimson House's dining room featured a landscape painting done in four panels by the architect in 1929. According to landscape architectural historian, David Streatfield, the landscape architect, Anne Smith, worked on the grounds of the T.D. Stimson House in the 1970s. (Conversation with Prof. Streatfield, 01/19/2010.) According to Platt's biographer, Keith N. Morgan, "The house was variously remodeled and enlarged in minor details by the Stimsons." (See Keith N. Morgan, "List of Buildings, Gardens, and Projects," Charles A. Platt The Artist as Architect, (New York: Architectural History Foundation ; Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1985], p. 255.)

PCAD id: 8438