AKA: Western Pacific Train Station, Sacramento, CA; Old Spaghetti Factory Restaurant, Sacramento, CA

Structure Type: built works - infrastructure - transportation structures - railroad stations

Designers: Burnham, Daniel H. and Company (firm); Ransome Company, Building Contractors (firm); Daniel Hudson Burnham (architect); Willis Jefferson Polk (architect); Ernest Leslie Ransome (civil engineer)

Dates: constructed 1908-1909

view all images ( of 1 shown)

1910 J Street
Boulevard Park, Sacramento, CA 95814

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Overview

Noted San Francisco architect Willis J. Polk (1867-1924) designed this railroad depot for the Western Pacific Railroad, working with the building contractor, the Ransome Company. The station was completed in 1909, but passenger service did not begin here until 08/21/1910. Passenger trains continued to use the facility until 03/22/1970. (See William Burg, Midtown Monthly, "Very Old Spaghetti Factory," accessed 08/26/2016.)

Building Notes

This station was done in the Mission Revival Style, as many CA stations of the time were, catering to tourists eager to see specific aspects of local culture. This was the second company known as the "Western Pacific Railroad," the first operated from (1862-1870). The Gould Family resurrected the name in 1903 for their new line which operated independently until 1983.

Alteration

The depot remained empty for eight years after passenger train service stopped in 1970. In 1978, it was altered to become an The Old Spaghetti Factory Restaurant.

PCAD id: 771