AKA: Seattle Public Library, Fremont Branch #2, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - social and civic buildings - libraries

Designers: Boyle - Wagoner Architects (firm); Huntington, Daniel R., Architect (firm); Susan D. Boyle (architect); Daniel Riggs Huntington (architect); Robert C. Wagoner (architect)

Dates: constructed 1921

731 North 35th Street
Fremont, Seattle, WA 98103-8802

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

A Mission Revival Style influenced design, the Fremont Branch of the Seattle Public Library, like the Greenlake and University District Branches, was funded, in part, by a $35,000 grant from the Carnegie Foundation. Citizens in the Fremont neighborhood added another $10,000 to purchase the lot, and the City of Seattle contributed $3,5000 annually for upkeep. As per Carnegie requirements, the local authorities needed to pay for both land acquisition and maintenance. Architect Huntington designed the building while he served as the City Architect, between 1917-1922.

As Meredith Ann Wirsching pointed out in her Master's thesis on the Fremont Library, Boyle-Waggoner Architects made alterations to the library's reading room in 1988; two tall kiosks with shelving and carrel spaces were added at this time. The lower level meeting room has served as a pediatric clinic in 1931, a neighbrohood youth center in the late 1930s, and a facility for the blind in 1945. The Seattle Public Library upgraded this facility in 2005 at a cost of $665,000.

PCAD id: 7523