AKA: Pacific Telephone & Telegraph Company, 1915 Terry Avenue Office Building, Seattle, WA; US West, Incorporated, 1915 Terry Avenue Office Building, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - office buildings

Designers: Jones and Bindon, Architects (firm); Leonard William Bindon (architect); John Paul Jones (architect)

Dates: constructed 1953-1954

5 stories

1915 Terry Avenue
Denny Regrade, Seattle, WA 98101-1424

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

The City of Seattle, Department of Neighborhoods compiled the following documentation about the Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company's Office Building #3: "According to original drawings, 'John Paul Jones and Leonard W. Bindon, Architects' designed the first five floors of this building for Pacific Telephone and Telephone and Telegraph Company during 1952. A building permit was obtained on March 15, 1953 and construction occurred between 1953 and 1954. Drawings for two additional floors were later completed by the same architects, by then known as the firm of Bindon and Jones. The construction drawings date from March 1, 1957 and the construction of the two additional floors is supposed to have been complete by 1957, according to Tax Assessor’s Property Record Cards." (See "Historical Sites Summary: Summary for 1915 Terry AVE / Parcel ID 0660001255,"Accessed 08/09/2011.) Following the break-up of the Bell System in 1983, Pacific Telephone and Telegraph's property in Washington State went to the entity US West, Incorporated. US West, in 1990, was composed of three main units: Mountain States Telephone & Telegraph (or "Mountain Bell," headquartered in Denver, CO), Northwestern Bell (headquartered in Omaha, NB) and Pacific Northwest Bell (headquartered in Seattle, WA). Qwest Communications International, Incorporated, undertook a hostile takeover of US West on 06/30/2000, and discontinued the US West brand at that time. In October 2006, Children's Hospital acquired two downtown Seattle buildings for use as research centers, the former Qwest Building at 1915 Terry Avenue and the other the former Corixa Building at 9th Avenue and Stewart Street. These acquisitions cost the hospital $145 million, the Corixa property priced at $109 million, or $504 per square foot. Children's Hospital planned to seimically upgrade and completely remodel the Qwest Building to serve as office space. The acquisition of the two buildings provided Children's Hospital with an additional 467,000 square feet for laboratories and offices.

This building was known as the Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company Building from 1954-1984, the US West Building from 1984-2000, and the Qwest Building (the local office of the short-lived Qwest Communications International, Incorporated) from 2000-2006. Thereafter, Children's Hospital controlled the space.

The Seattle architecture firm of Bindon and Jones added two more floors in 1957, bringing the total to seven. Children's Hospital, Seattle, purchased the Qwest Building with the intention of fully remodeling and seismically up-grading it.

PCAD id: 6879