AKA: Flintridge Hotel, La Cañada Flintridge, California; Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy, La Cañada Flintridge, California

Structure Type: built works - dwellings -public accommodations - hotels

Designers: Hunt and Chambers, Architects (firm); Harold Coulson Chambers (architect); Myron Hubbard Hunt (architect)

Dates: constructed 1926

Flintridge, La Cañada Flintridge, CA

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Overview

US Senator Frank Putnam Flint (1862-1929), who represented CA from 1905-1911, commissioned the Pasadena architectural firm of Hunt and Chambers to design this resort hotel in the mid-1920s. Part of the Biltmore chain operated by the Bowman-Biltmore Hotels Corporation, it fell victim to the Depression in 1931, and was sold to the the Dominican Sisters of Mission San Jose who began a school, the Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy, on the grounds.

Building History

The Bowman-Biltmore Hotels Corporation chain signed a 10-year lease on the Flintridge Biltmore Hotel in 1928. Frank Putnam Flint, President of the Los Angeles Investment Company, developed the hotel, relying on architect Myron Hunt (1868-1952), who had completed several large hotels previously including the Hotel Maryland (1904), Pasadena, and Ambassador, Los Angeles, (1921).

PCAD id: 5541