AKA: Seattle Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Center, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - hospitals

Designers: Naramore, Bain, Brady, and Johanson, (NBBJ) (firm); Young, Richardson, Carleton and Detlie, Architects and Engineers (firm); William James Bain Sr. (architect); William James Bain Jr. (architect); Clifton J. Brady (architect); William Hodder Carleton (architect); John Stewart Detlie Sr. (architect); Perry Bertil Johanson (architect); Floyd Archibald Naramore (architect); Stephen Hinley Richardson (architect); Arrigo Mazzucato Young (civil engineer/mechanical engineer)

Dates: constructed 1951-1954

4800 Sand Point Way NE
Seattle, WA 98105-3901

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

In October 2006, Children's Hospital acquired two downtown Seattle buildings for use as research centers, the former Qwest Building at 1915 Terry Avenue and the other the former Corixa Building at 9th Avenue and Stewart Street. These acquisitions cost the hospital $145 million, the Corixa property priced at $109 million, or $504 per sqaure foot. Children's Hospital joined five other health-care institutions and biotech companies occupying space in the South Lake Union area. In 2006, this included the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center, the University of Washington, Zymogenetics, Rosetta Inpharmatics, and the Seattle Biomedical Research Institute. In November 2006, Children's Hospital also announced its intention to obtain a parcel of 3-5 acres of land in Bellevue, WA, to establish 50,000-100,000 of office space on the east side of Lake Washington. Expansion plans for the Laurelhurst site in 2007 aroused a great deal of community consternation. On 08/11/2009, the Seattle City Hearing Examiner decided that Seattle Children's Hospital's effort to add 1.5 million square feet of space was excessive; at this time, the hospital already contained 900,000 square feet. Opponents included the Laurelhurst Community Club, which argued that the neighboring streets such as Montlake Boulevard, NE 45th Street, and Sand Point Way would become clogged with increased traffic. The club hoped to reach a scaled-back solution with Children's.

This sprawling hospital began with a location in Seattle, WA's Queen Anne Neighborhood in 1911. It gradually expanded the earlier facility, until it finally outgrew it in the early 1950s.

Naramore, Bain, Brady and Johanson (NBBJ) designed an addition to Seattle Children's Hospital in 1972-1976.

PCAD id: 5190