AKA: Tacoma Theater, Tacoma, WA; Broadway Theatre, Tacoma, WA

Structure Type: built works - performing arts structures - theatres

Designers: Heide, August F., Architect (firm); Howard, John Galen, Architect (firm); Wood, J.M., Architect (firm); August F. Heide (architect); John Galen Howard (architect); James M. Wood (architect)

Dates: constructed 1888-1890, demolished 1963

4 stories

view all images ( of 1 shown)

902 Broadway
Downtown, Tacoma, WA 98402

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
902-14

The Tacoma Opera House Company commissioned a group of architects to design this office/theatre block in Downtown Tacoma, WA. At this time, Tacoma was experiencing a development surge due to the completion of railroad service into the city in 1883. Chicago theatre architect James M. Wood designed the Tacoma Theatre assisted by local architect August F. Heide (1862-1943). Architect John Galen Howard (1864-1931), who spent 1887-1888 working in Los Angeles, CA, before returning to the East Coast (and, in 1890, to Paris), designed the larger Richardsonian Romanesque building in which the Tacoma Theatre operated. Howard worked with Sydney Lowell, who completed the larger building's interior design. Others involved in the construction of the building included: Moore and Clark, Building Contractors; Spierling & Linden, Interior Decorators; Thomas Moses, scenic artist; Charles H. Smith, stage builder; and the Peterman Manufacturing Company, which produced the woodwork and carving. From its opening until 1930, the Tacoma Theatre hosted some of the most celebrated performers of the day--Sarah Bernhardt (in 1891 and 1918), Mark Twain (1895), Alla Nazimova (1910), Al Jolson (1915) and Harry Houdini (1924).

It was first known as the Tacoma Opera House or the Tacoma Theatre, and had various names over the years: the "Malan-Magrath Theater" in 1905, the "Orpheum" in 1918, the "Broadway" from 1927-1933 and the "Music Box" after 1933.

In what was then Tacoma's single largest real estate transaction, the Tacoma Theatre Building was sold in mid-12/1925. By 03/07/1926, the Tacoma architectural firm, Heath, Grove and Bell had been hired to renovate the building. Construction went on during 1926 and early 1927. A grand reopening of the newly renamed "Broadway Theatre" occurred on 02/04/1927, attracting approximately 20,000 people.

Demolished; the Tacoma Theatre was destroyed by fire on 04/30/1963. Fires were commonplace in theatres and opera houses of the 1800s, due to the use of limelight and other hazards. Two months after opening, a fire occurred 03/07/1890.

PCAD id: 4751