Structure Type: built works - public buildings - city halls

Designers: Percy and Hamilton, Architects (firm); Ratcliff Associates (firm); Swinerton Builders, Building Contractors (firm); Frederick F. Hamilton (architect); George Washington Percy (architect); Robert Williams Ratcliff (architect); Alfred Bingham Swinerton (building contractor)

Dates: constructed 1894-1896

3 stories

view all images ( of 1 shown)

2264 Santa Clara Avenue
Alameda, CA 94501

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
Santa Clara Avenue and Oak Street;

Overview

Architect George W. Percy (1847-1900) lived in Oakland from 1886-1900, and was active in the civic affairs of Oakland and Alameda. A prominent San Francisco architect, Percy was a logical local choice to design this civic landmark.

Building History

Alameda had, since the 1870s, wanted to raise a city hall, but did not pass funding for it until 1894. This simplified, 3-story Romannesque building was completed in 1896. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, level of significance: Local.

Alteration

Originally, a 120-foot clock tower stood in the center of the building above the main entrance. This was damaged in the April 1906 Earthquake and partially removed at that time. Much of the tower remained until 1937, when it was all taken down due to structural instability. The Alameda City Hall was renovated in 1997 by Ratcliff Associates, Berkeley, CA; Swinerton Builders of Oakland, CA, acted as the building contractor. Swinerton accomplished the following renovations: asbestos abatement, seismic upgrades, interior modernization in council chambers, preservation of millwork, masonry, and main stair, addition of a new elevator, and improvement of attic space.

National Register of Historic Places: 80000791 NRHP Images (pdf) NHRP Registration Form (pdf)

PCAD id: 4214