AKA: La Habra Depot Theatre, La Habra, CA; La Habra Child Development Centers, La Habra, CA

Structure Type: built works - infrastructure - transportation structures - railroad stations

Designers: [unspecified]

Dates: constructed 1909

1 story

view all images ( of 3 shown)

Euclid Street and Electric Avenue
La Habra, CA 90631

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
The Pacific Electric in La Habra stood on what was Hiatt Street (that became Euclid) just to the north of Electric Avenue.

Overview

This wood frame, rail depot served the Pacific Electric Railway Company's Red Car line in the small, northern Orange County city of La Habra, CA. The building was covered by a long hipped roof, that had a small, gabled dormer jutting out from one side accommodating what looks to have been a ticket or baggage office. The building had sheltered porch on its west end, supported by columns. The building was still standing in 07/1965.

Building History

This small station served both the Pacific Electric and the Southern Pacific Railroad Company. This station was closed down in 1938. According to the Electric Railway Historical Association of Southern California's La Habra-Yorba Linda-Fullerton Line web site: "Passenger service on the La Habra-Yorba Linda was abandoned on January 22, 1938 and on the Fullerton Line on the same date." (SeeElectric Railway Historical Association of Southern California.org, "La Habra-Yorba Linda-Fullerton Line," accessed 02/13/2018.)

According to the Los Angeles Public Library (LAPL), "This station was built in 1909. In the late-1970s, the station was moved across the street to 301 S. Euclid Street in Portola Park, and was restored to became the La Habra Depot Theatre." The building was originally erected on the northeast corner of Hiatt Street and Electric Avenue, but was moved to the northwest corner in the late-1970s. The street was renumbered between the 1970s and the present.

It now functions as the La Habra Child Development Centers at 401 South Euclid Street in greatly altered condition.

Building Notes

The La Habra station stood 22.19 miles from Los Angeles, and required three transfers to reach the city, one at Laon Junction, one at Santa Fe Springs, and one in Whittier. (See Electric Railway Historical Association of Southern California.org, "La Habra-Yorba Linda-Fullerton Line," accessed 02/13/2018.)

Freight was also carried from the station in La Habra, most of it citrus crops.

Orange Historic Landmark: 14

PCAD id: 21810