Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - office buildings; built works _ industrial buildings - processing plant; built works - research structures - laboratories

Designers: Meyer and Holler, Architects, Engineers and Builders (firm); Philip W. Holler (architect); Mendel S. Meyer (building contractor)

Dates: constructed 1921-1922

2 stories

Seward Street and Romaine Avenue
Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Building History

Architect John Frauenfelder produced an earlier design for the Standard Film Laboratories in 1920, which apparently was not built. The laboratory, located in the heart of the Hollywood film district, awarded the contract to the large firm Meyer and Holler, Architects, Engineers and Builders, in 01/1921. A brief article in the Chemical and Metallurgical Engineering, 02/02/1921, indicated: "The Standard Film Laboratories, Seward St., has awarded the contract for the construction of a 2-story, 75x120-ft. film laboratory to Meyer & Holler, Collender Bldg., about $125,000. Company plans to install $50,000 worth of laboratory equipment." (See "Industrial, Financial, Construction and Manufacturers' News," Chemical and Metallurgical Engineering, vol. 24, 02/02/1921, p. 235.)

Building Notes

The architectural firm of Meyer And Holler, formerly known as the Milwaukee Building Company, produced a Spanish Colonial Revival design for the laboratory; it had a front pavilion which housed offices and rear spaces where the film development work took place. The front pavilion had a shallowly pitched hipped roof, covered in Spanish tile and a symmetrical front fenestration. The front door and end windows on the first floor were trimmed by over-sized voussoirs. Wrought iron reja covered the first-floor windows, while second-floor french doors had decorative, wrought iron balconies. A succession of six small shuttered windows opened the second-floor wall. Wrought iron balconies also stood outside second-floor French doors on one of the pavilion's side elevations.

PCAD id: 18508