Structure Type: built works - dwellings - houses

Designers: Meyer, Frederick Herman, Architect (firm); Frederick Herman Meyer (architect)

Dates: constructed 1909-1910

3 stories

Frederick Meyer designed this three-story, Georgian Revival townhouse on an odd parcel of land for Frederick and Alma Drinkhouse in 1909-1910. Realtor and architectural historian David Parry indicated that architect T. Paterson Ross sold small portions of land to create what became the Drinkhouse's oddly-shaped property. He wrote: "Ross had designed the corner home in 1909 on what was then a 26'6" by 70' lot, but he was able to distribute the remaining 30' by 51'6" of the corner parcel owned by Drinkhouse between the 3 adjoining properties, 2375 and 2395 Vallejo and 2756 Steiner. A deed in August 1910 from Ross and his wife Lillian shows the transfer of the rear yard and the Vallejo access strip to Meyer." (See David Parry, Encyclopedia of San Francisco, "Meyer, Frederick Herman,"Accessed 02/29/2012.)

According to the US Census of 1910, Frederick R. Drinkhouse, Sr., (born c. 1864 in CA) worked as a broker for the Fireman's Fund Insurance Company in San Francisco, CA. In 04/1910, before his new abode at 2756 Steiner Street by architect Frederick Herman Meyer (1876-1961) was completed, he lived in a residence at 246 Fremont Street. Drinkhouse lived here with his wife Alma Botton Drinkhouse (born c. 1874 in CA), his son, Frederick Drinkhouse, Jr., (born c. 1903 in CA), his mother-in-law, Elizabath Botton (born c. 1839 in England), a servant, Nellie Burbank (born c. c. 1849 in CA) and a nurse, May Mail (born c. 1881 in CA). The Drinkhouses moved into their house after 04/22/1910. Frederick Drinkhouse, Sr., did not seem to live here long, as he had moved by 1916 to a residence at 222 Alma Street, San Francisco.

PCAD id: 17667