Structure Type: built works - exhibition buildings - museums

Designers: Arup, Ove, and Partners (firm); Auerbach Pollock Friedlander, Performing Arts/Media Facilities Planning and Design (firm); Barnes, Edward Larabee, Architect (firm); Fong and Chan Architects (firm); Hathaway Dinwiddie Construction Company (firm); Herzog and de Meuron, Architects (firm); Hood, Walter, Landscape Architect (firm); Keller, Steven R., and Associates (firm); Mullgardt, Louis Christian, Architect (firm); Nichols, Debra, Design (firm); Rutherford and Chekene, Engineers (firm); Sparks, Charles and Company (firm); Swinerton Builders, Building Contractors (firm); Ove Arup (structural engineer); S. Leonard Auerbach (perfoming arts design consultant); Edward Larrabee Barnes (architect); Chiu Lin Chan (architect); Pierre de Meuron (architect); David G. Fong (architect); E. A. Hathaway (building contractor); Jacques Herzog (architect); Walter Hood (landscape architect); Steven R. Keller (security consultant); Louis Christian Mullgardt (architect); Debra Nichols (graphic designer); Charles Sparks (architect); Alfred Bingham Swinerton (building contractor)

Dates: [unspecified]

Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, CA

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

The museum was founded in 1895. New York architecture firm, Edward Larrabee Barnes and Associates, designed a new master plan for the de Young Museum in 1989-1990. (See Edward Larrabee Barnes Architect, [New York: Rizzoli, 1991], p. 252.) David Casey was the Barnes Associate-in-Charge; Barnes and Cavagnero acted as Associate Architects during the master planning process.

An addition was planned in 1928 by Frederick H. Meyer (1872-1961); much of the Moorish/Spanish Renaissance decorative detail supplied by Louis C. Mullgardt (1866-1942) was removed in the 1940s, due to its decay and changing architectural tastes; Herzog and de Meuron completed a $135 million addition; (Some sources put the cost of construction at $180 million.) The competition took place in 1999, project design, 2000-2002, and construction 2002-2004. The new 2005 wing by Herzog-de Meuron was scheduled to open 10/15/2005.

PCAD id: 1324