AKA: Pacific McKay Automobile Showroom, South Lake Union, Seattle, WA; McKay Lincoln Dealership, South Lake Union, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - stores

Designers: Thomas, Harlan C., Architect (firm); Irving Harlan Thomas (architect)

Dates: constructed 1925, demolished 2009

1 story

601 Westlake Avenue North
Seattle, WA 98109-4307

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Building History

The ambitious automobile retailer William Osborne McKay (1887-1956) built the Pacific McKay Showroom to display new Lincoln autombiles. It was one of the earliest showrooms on what was Seattle's Auto Row; in 1939, before post-World War II suburban sprawl, Westlake Avenue North and its near vicinity had more than 40 automotive businesses. His Lincoln dealership served as a pendant to McKay's Ford dealership located across the street.

While McKay commissioned Warren H. Milner (1865-1949) to design his earlier Ford dealership, he chose to hire the young architect Harlan Thomas (1870-1953) to create his Lincoln showroom.

Building Notes

The Seattle Landmarks Preservation Board met on 12/17/2008 to hear a briefing on a demolition proposal for the Pacific McKay and Ford McKay Buildings in order to widen Mercer Street. The LPB met on 01/07/2009 for further briefing on the Pacific McKay Building.

Demolition

Demolished; The building was torn down in 2009; NBBJ Architects would design the next building on the site of the Ford McKay and Pacific McKay dealerships; their design had to incorporate the terra cotta cladding of the previous buildings.

PCAD id: 12206