Structure Type: built works - military buildings

Designers: [unspecified]

Dates: constructed 1908-1909

3 stories

view all images ( of 2 shown)

Virginia Street and Western Avenue
Downtown, Seattle, WA 98101

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Like many armories designed since the mid-19th century, this rectangular building had a daunting, medieval appearance, with a castellated parapet, round corner turrets and impenetrably thick walls. The Romanesque, round-arched entrance way had a wrought iron portcullis. Rusticated stone trimmed the entry's arch, providing strong contrast to the red-brown brick walls. The building existed between 1909-1968, and served a variety of community uses, such as dances and meetings. According to historian Paul Dorpat, it operated as a food bank during the 1930s. (See Paul Dorpat, "A Citizen Armory,"Accessed 09/20/2011.)

Located on the Seattle waterfront, this storehouse of military supplies presented a striking appearance when seen from Elliott Bay.

Demolished in 1968. The Armory stood on land that was, in 2008, Victor Steinbrueck Park.

PCAD id: 11278