Structure Type: built works - recreation areas and structures

Designers: Steinhart, Theriault and Anderson, Architects (firm); Einar V. Anderson (architect); Arden Croco Steinhart (architect); Robert Dennis Theriault (architect)

Dates: constructed 1959-1961

3 stories

1920 Dexter Avenue North
Ballard, Seattle, WA 98109-2718

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Building History

Architect Einar V. Anderson (1925-1970), a partner in the Seattle architectural firm of Steinhart, Anderson and Theriault, was well-integrated into the Swedish-American community that was large, active and prominent in Seattle in 1959. He was probably the most important point of contact with the Swedish Club in obtaining the commission for its new building in the late 1950s.

The site of the new Swedish Club in Seattle, WA, was dedicated 11/28/1959; work was completed by early 1961. In 1964, the Swedish successfully petitioned the City of Seattle to vacate parts of alleyways east of Dexter Avenue North and south of Newton Street, for use as a parking lot. (See "City Affairs: Vacations Disapproved," Seattle Times, 12/24/1964, p. 25.)

PCAD id: 10947